By James Nelson-Stewart
February 18, 2021
- Three (3) teams have really surprised in the season Plymouth Whitemarsh, Devon Prep and North Penn. All 3 teams are pretty young and the future looks very bright for these programs.
- Four (4) underpublicized 2022 Point Guards need more love throughout the area. Saleem Payne (Cheltenham) super quick who has led Cheltenham to an undefeated record. Argel Ivy Pettit (Devon Prep) , he’s been balling the last 2 years at Rustin but now he has taken it to the Catholic League proving he’s for real. Joey Larkins (North Penn) the defensive leader and unselfish PG of the Knights. #24 in the class academically, he is heady and steady. Jeremiah Bembry (Executive Education) had been off the radar but has come back in a big way at Executive Education Charter School. He makes them a true contender for the state title.
- Muneer Newton (Wood) is playing like a 1st Team All Catholic. The only unsigned member of the Wood starting 5. Newton is very Athletic and a great team player would fit colleges at any level.
- The stars are playing like the stars. Rahsool Diggins (Wood), Daeshon Shepherd (Wood), Hysier Miller (Neumann-Goretti), Stevie Mitchell (Wilson West Lawn), Jameel Brown (Haverford School), Jevin Muniz (Executive Education), Jordan Longino (Germantown Academy) among others are looking elite.
- Some very strong 2023/2024 players are really starting to show their meddle. Led by 2023 Roman PG Xyavier Brown and Imhotep duo of Rahmir Burno and Justin Edwards, 2024s P-W Jayden Colzie, Carroll’s Moses Hipps, Devon Prep’s Ty Mishock, CB East Jacob Cumminsky, Central Dauphin’s National Ranked Malachi Palmer lead a very deep class of 2024’s in the area. The future looks bright for these 2 classes.
P.S-Get ready for an interesting playoff season as changes in the District and State format make every game remaining that much more important. 6A looks to be a minefield as usual but even more so this year with Wood and Roman in District 12 and District 3 Wilson, Reading and Central Dauphin and District 1 with PW, Neshaminy, Lower Merion and Cheltenham and limited spots available. No time for slip ups!!! Good Luck to every team playing this year in this crazy season!!!